Two duct tape covered comp books and one enlarged 3x5 binder
Yeah!! I finally covered 2 composition notebooks with duct tape!!! :)
And, I finally uploaded some pics to my flickr account. I am attempting to post the link here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33202328@N04/
You can see the black marble cover faintly showing through the light background of the Hello Kitty Duck brand duct tape and I tried cutting it to fit rather than trimming afterwards so you can see some black along the edges. Also, I didn't try to match the pattern at the seams the way you would with wall paper but I think you could with a small amount of overlap, and obviously some waste.
The Platypus brand Diamond Plate is a better quality and it was easy to match the seams with no overlap. It is stiffer but that wasn't an issue for this project. Note, my older daughter wanted me to make a journal for her so I used pink and didn't cover the back. It took exactly 4 strips to cover the front and the left side edge landed right on the binding, so I added a pink strip of Scotch brand so the exposed edge would be on the back, to reduce the chance of lifting and peeling.
Also, I enlarged a 3x5 index binder using the repurposed polyvinyl cover of a small calendar/planner. I punched the weekly and monthly calendars with a regular 3 ring punch and am using them as planning pages in the enlarged binder.
I covered the index binder with Scotch brand duct tape in a snakeskin pattern. It is the flimsiest of the three brands and has less thread running through the tape but that doesn't seem to hurt the appearance, at least not with this pattern. However, it was impossible to match the seams, even with overlap. This tape is already bubbling/lifting a little bit from the plastic binder but it doesn't show too much and doesn't hurt the overall look. The bubbling might be due to re-positioning the tape to match the pattern as best I could.
I have started to construct a pocket for a smart phone using a UPS mailer, rather than the Tyvek paper I was thinking about for the comp notebooks. And I have picked up some 1" black elastic with the goal of creating a closure.
I may or may not post pictures if I ever get around to finishing the pocket and/or the closure. I had the dickens of a time figuring out how to upload them from my cell phone. I finally had to email them to myself one by one then save them to a folder and then import them to my photo software and only then upload them to flickr ... ... ... aaaarghh!!!!!
I am now officially exhausted.